Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Google Rank-tracking

So I've spent some time creating a parser for Google results in Excel which will allow me to track top 10, top 20, etc. results for a given keyword or set of keywords, and identify if there are any URLs that can be promoted with some solid cross/back-linking. Basically I can just screen scrape Google, Paste-special values the data into a designated column, and have it identify the URL, rank, & snippet. Just FYI the blue hyperlink that's above each result (usually something like "Vincent Hayes's Facebook" or "Man Bites Dog") is actually the title tag, up to ~ 70 characters (after which Google just trims it with a "..." ). Though primarily for business purposes, I'm going to track rankings once a week just to see where I am and what keywords I'm associated with.
Currently for just my core name, no qualifiers, I'm not ranking well at all:
  • 7 - LinkedIn Directory result, I just happen to be on the first page (past the link)
  • 33 - LinkedIn (again), but this is my actual Public page
  • 56 - Facebook, it's a (deliberately) private profile - I might make this public after some conscientious edits, as Facebook does have a wealth of information including backlinks
  • 101 - Twitter

Any qualifiers/keywords attached, and I suddenly come right to the top (* = Vincent Hayes, no quotes):

  • * Twitter - #1
  • * Facebook - not so good, no results within reason (<50)
  • * Bridgeport - Top 4, 3 twitter and Facebook as #1 (I was sick recently and tweeted about it: result? Google spidered my page right on that day and now ranks those results), Twitter result as #13 as well
  • * LinkedIn OR Linked In - zero results in the top 10 other than the aforementioned directory listing
  • * - LinkedIn is immediately #1 and #2, both direct links to my profile
  • * analyst - #1 LinkedIn, #2 Twitter

Outside of work I'm going to create a grid examining keywords versus my name & rank, and see where I am. My initial gut reaction is that any kind of geocoded keyword (like the town I live in) is considered by Google to be a stronger qualifier than something like "analyst" or "LinkedIn". It's obviously important to keep consistent across all of my profiles :)

Looking into Spoke, Naymz, and started a Flikr (no content yet).

More later!

/Post

No comments:

Post a Comment