Tuesday, April 7, 2009

ClaimID and Google (quick) update

I'm going to try and update this blog at least twice a week. The past few days have been fairly hectic (Birthday, Palm Sunday) but I've been checking my natural ranking periodically.

I took a really, really nasty hit on my Twitter, which is now back to ~70's in my natural search, and my blog is still nowhere to be found :) My LinkedIn and Facebook are starting to rank (weird) so I'm not 100% if I just got bumped, or I'm getting penalized because Googler's checked my sites and saw the mentions of SEO, Online Rep., etc. If the latter is actually true that would be a bit inefficient, as this is actually me and I'm just finally creating profiles as well as gaining some awareness of how important it is to identify yourself before someone else does so for you (probably not much of an issue for me, this early on in my life/career, but certainly for others). Since Google's mission is to be the best search out there (which includes "for people"), it's probably in their best interest to rank people who take the time to qualify and identify themselves as well as those who happen to be "hot" at that moment. Which I'm not ;) This is where the concept of owning keywords is helpful; if you cannot rank well with just your core name in natural search, owning unique qualifiers such as your location or position (professional or otherwise) can help. For example: Vincent Hayes Analyst (no quotes) I own 7 out of the top 10.
/rant

Anyways, if you have multiple profiles & sites online, this site ClaimID seems to want to help out with it. I'm signed up now here, and I've listed a few of my sites while I spend some time (later) learning about how this site actually works.

No comments:

Post a Comment